Thursday, January 31, 2013

Eminem, Yelawolf Tackle Race, Drugs In New Interview

'As I was listening to his music, I am not even thinking about any of that,' Eminem tells Vibe about working with Yelawolf.
By Rob Markman

<P><a href="http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/eminem/artist.jhtml">Eminem</a> wasn't the first-ever white rapper, but when Slim Shady kicked in hip-hop's doors in 1999, he was still an anomaly. In 2011, <a href="http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/yelawolf/artist.jhtml">Yelawolf</a> doesn't have quite the same difficulty, as the white rapper stigma, for the most part, has subsided. It's a topic that Em and Yela discuss in the December/January issue of <i>Vibe</i> magazine. </P><P> </P><P></p><div class="player-placeholder right" title="Yelawolf Talks About Working With Eminem" id="vid:705816" width="240" height="211"></div><p> </P><P> </P><P>In the magazine's cover story, Eminem tells veteran writer Erik Parker that he and <a href="/news/articles/1655811/eminem-signs-slaughterhouse-yelawolf-to-shady-records.jhtml">Wolf, who Em signed</a> to Shady Records earlier this year, hardly consider race while in the studio. "We make jokes about it, but I don't think we talk about it in depth," he said. "As I was listening to his music, I am not even thinking about any of that sh--. It's just the music. That's one of the things that's great about it. I'm not even thinking about it when I hear the music." </P><P> </P><P>They did make light of it in the studio, however. "We do poke fun of it because it's funny. Like, he calls me White Dog," Yela said. </P><P> </P><P>"Yeah, or Beige Sheep," Em joked. </P><P> </P><P>Growing up in Alabama, Yela learned a lot about race relations, especially as it pertains to hip-hop culture. And while a rapper like Kreayshawn affiliate V-Nasty may feel comfortable dropping the N-word, Wolf insists that that is a no-no. "[In Alabama] we have a dark history concerning the relationship between black and white people. I'm not a role model by any means, but if I said it around the house, I got popped in the mouth," he said. </P><P> </P><P>Eminem insists that race is secondary to music. "We deal with it enough as it is. So now, let's make music," Eminem said. </P><P> </P><P>"Let's make great records. At the end of the day, that's all there is to do," Yela, whose debut album, <i>Radioactive,</i> hits shelves November 21, added. </P><P> </P><P>When the topic of drugs came up, a clean and sober Em joked that he recently shot heroin, making light of a situation that he had previously taken so seriously. That opened the door for Yela to talk about his own experience with narcotics. </P><P> </P><P>"I started smoking weed at 11. By 12, I was smoking dust. Thirteen, acid, Freon, Special K, mushrooms; 16 years old, I was selling X pills at school. Not even because I was a good dope boy, but because I was a scumbag," the tatted-up rapper revealed. "It was called chocolate chip, and it had heroin in it. I used to take that sh-- and go to class. I went so heavy into drugs that I had a bad trip one time that lasted for months." </P><P> </P><P>The December/January <a href="http://www.vibe.com/posts/vibe-cover-reveal-eminem-and-yelawolf-cover-year-end-issue" target="_blank">issue of <i>Vibe</i> magazine</a> hits newsstands nationwide on December 6.</p>

Related Artists

Source:
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1674621/eminem-yelawolf-vibe-cover.jhtml

Rachael Leigh Cook Rachel Bilson Rachel Blanchard Rachel Hunter Rachel McAdams

No comments:

Post a Comment